Dr. Edmos Mtetwa
PhD in Social studies (UZ), Master of Social Work (UZ), Bachelor of Social Work (Honors) (UZ)
: Disability, Empowerment and Participation in Public life, Human Rights, Social Justice, Citizen Participation and Public policy, Social policy, poverty reduction, social development and social protection, Rural development, livelihoods, rural industrialisation and sustainable agriculture for poverty reduction
Faculty: Social Studies
Department: Department of Social Work
Research Category: Behavioral Sciences
Phone: + 263 712 518 130
1. Mtetwa E. (2010). The Place of Persons with Disabilities in Zimbabwean Society [International Journal of Social Sciences Volume 2, Number 5, pp (1-6)].
2. Mtetwa E. (2010). Understanding the Plight of Persons with Disabilities in Zimbabwe and its Policy implications [International Journal of Humanities, Volume 2, Number 3, pp (115-123)].
3. Mtetwa E. (2011). Cross-cutting issues: Disability and the Constitution Making Process for Zimbabwe. [The Indian Journal of Social Work, Volume 72, Issue 2 pp (93-112)].
4. Mtetwa E. (2011). The Policy Dimensions of Exclusion: Disability as Charity and not Right in Zimbabwe. [The Indian Journal of Social Work, Volume 72, Issue 3, pp (381-398)].
5. Mtetwa E. (2012). The Dilemma of Social Difference: Disability and Institutional Discrimination in Zimbabwe. Australian Journal of Human Rights. Volume 18 Number 1 (2012) pp (169-184).
6. Mtetwa E. (2013). The Tenacity of Tradition: Disability and the New Constitution for Zimbabwe. Research Open Journal of Medical Sciences and Medicine. Volume 1, Number 1pp (1-11).
7. Mtetwa E. (2013). The Ghost of Culture: The budget as an Instrument of Exclusion in Zimbabwe. The Indian Journal of social Work. Volume 74, Number 3 & 4) pp (411-431) July – Oct 2013.
8. Mtetwa E. and Muchacha M. (2013). Towards A National Social Protection Policy: Knowledge and Lessons from a Comparative Analysis of the Design and Implementation of Public Assistance and Harmonized Social Cash Transfer Programmes in Zimbabwe. In the Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences.
9. Mtetwa E. and Zinyemba L. (2013). Understanding Health Literacy: Health Policy and the Challenge of grassroots participation. Journal of Behavioral Sciences in Asia. (2013) Vol. 1 No. 3 pp 2-15.
10. Mtetwa E., Dziro C. and Takaza S. (2013). Poverty and Rural Development; Tapping from grassroots. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention. (2013) Vol. 2 Issue 5 pp 21-35.
11. Mtetwa E. and Muridzo N. G. (2013). Analysis of the 2013 national budget statement and its implications for social work practice in Zimbabwe. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. Vol. 13, Issue 5, pp (1-6). (July – August 2013).
12. Nyikahadzoi K., Chikwaiwa B. K. and Mtetwa E. (2013). Determinants of School attendance among Children with Disability in Zimbabwe and Implication on disability Policy. In Zimbabwe Journal of Education Research. Vol. 25, Issue 2, pp (167-182) July 2013.
13. Mtetwa E. and Muchacha M. (2013). The price of professional silence: Social work and human rights in Zimbabwe. In African Journal of Social Work. Vol. 3 No. 1 pp (19-43) August 2013.
14. Mtetwa E. and Nyikahadzoi K. (2014) Socioeconomic circumstances of children with disabilities in Zimbabwe: Implications for human and social capital development. Journal of Social Development in Africa. Volume 28, No. 2, pp (31-51).
15. Dziro C., Mtetwa E., Mukamuri B., and Chikwaiwa B. K. (2013). Challenges faced by western-modeled residential care institutions in preparing the residents for meaningful re-integration into society: A case study of a Harare-based children’s home. Journal of Social Development in Africa. Volume 28, No. 2, pp (113-130).
16. Muchacha M. and Mtetwa E. (2014). Social and Economic Barriers to Exclusive Breast Feeding in Rural Zimbabwe. In International Journal of MCH and AIDS. Volume 3 Issue 1 pp(256-261)
17. Muchacha M. and Mtetwa E. (2014). Beyond the Bio-Medical Orthodoxies: Socio-Economic and Attitudinal Impediments to Inclusive Breast Feeding in Rural Zimbabwe and Possible Roles of Social Workers and Interventions to Promotes its Uptake. In Journal of Social Work/Maastkaplike Werk Vol. 51 (1) pp (63-79).
18. Mtetwa E., Nyikahadzoi K., Matsika A.B., Shava N. and Chikwaiwa B. K. (2015). Perceived Risks of Social Media on children: The Case of Pupils from Four Selected Harare Schools. In Zimbabwe Child Monitor Women’s University Child Sensitive Social Policies pp 31-38.
19. Muchacha M. and Mtetwa E. (2015). Dynamics of Child Sexual Abuse in Zimbabwe: Towards A Socio Ecological of Prevention. In the Journal of Social Work Practitioner – Researcher. Vol 27 (1), pp 118-136.
20. Mtetwa E. and Ruparanganda W. (2016). Disability and the quest for bureaucratic representation in Zimbabwe. The Indian Journal of Social Work Volume 77, Issue 1, pp 33-46.
21. Muchacha M., Dziro C. and Mtetwa E. (2016). The Implications of neoliberalism for the care of orphans in Zimbabwe: Challenges and Opportunities for Social Work Practice. Aotearoa New Zealand Social Work, Vol. 28, Number 2, pp 84-93.
22. Mtetwa E. (2016). Implementation of Appropriate Minimum Body of Knowledge in Training and Practice of Social Work in Zimbabwe. In African Journal of Social Work. Volume 6, No. 1 (42-50).
23. Mtetwa E. 2017. Disability at the crossroads: The culture of exclusion and the 2013 constitution for Zimbabwe. Journal of Social Development in Africa, Vol 31, No 2): Pp 25 – 48.
24. Mtetwa E. (2018). Rural Social Security for Zimbabwe: Challenges and Opportunities for State and Non-State Actors. Journal of Social Development in Africa, Vol 33 No, 1.
25. Mtetwa E. (2018). Corruption, Institutional Decay and Social Capital: The Case of Zimbabwe Republic Police. Review of Human Factor Studies, Volume 24 No.1: 66-80.
26. Mtetwa E. (2018). Disability and the challenge of Unemployment in Zimbabwe: a Social Protection Perspective. African Journal of Social Work. Vol8 No.2: 78-84.
Chapter(s) published in a Book
1. Mugumbate J. and Mtetwa E. (2014) ‘People with disabilities in Zimbabwe’ in Nyanguru A. c. and Nyoni C. Editors. Promoting Social Work for Zimbabwe’s Development. Bindura, Bindura University Press.
2. Mtetwa E. (2014) ‘Disability Policy and Practice in Zimbabwe’ in Mugumbate J., Dodo O., Maushe F., Ruparanganda L., Zembere M., Makwerere D., Ngwerume E. and Mtetwa E. (Eds) Development Policy and Practice: Making use of Population Census Data in Zimbabwe. Harare, IDA Publishers.
3. Mtetwa E. and Ruparanganda L. (2015). Social Policy and Legislation in Zimbabwe in Social Work Conversion Examination Modules. Council of Social Workers. Harare: Council of social Workers.
4. Mtetwa E. and Muchacha M. (2017). Decolonizing childcare practice in rural Zimbabwe: embracing local cultures in Gray M. (Editor). (2017). The Handbook of Social Work and Social Development in Africa. London: Routledge.
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
Awards & Achievements:
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):